STOTFOLD 0 BERKHAMSTED 4

Third placed Berko followed up their 9 goal midweek haul with another convincing Premier division victory at Stotfold on Saturday. Not surprisingly manager Micky Vipond named an unchanged side. Being full of confidence they played some good football particularly in the first half when they established a three goal lead. Top scorer Connor Calcutt set the ball rolling netting the first, after some unselfish play on the right by Frankie Jowle who passed when he could have shot. Soon after an incisive pass from Steve Hawes freed Jordon Frederick who netted with a right foot volley. Jowle made it three nil at the interval.

Ben Butler came on at half time and Frederick scored again shooting under the keeper from the left hand side of the area early in the second half. With Griggs overlapping on the right with Jowle and Josh Chamberlain supplying crosses from the left, it took some inspired goalkeeping to prevent further goals. A gale force wind got up to make things more tricky. Berko’s only worries were fitness with Lewis Rodrigoe coming off injured and Calcutt being sick, so Jack Copson and James Towell came on in the second half.

Ampthill were not playing so Berko and Hanwell both won and moved three points closer to the league leaders and still have plenty games in hand.

Berko: Tasker; Griggs, Rodrigoe (Copson), Sears, Canham, Hawes (Butler),Jowle, Gavin,Calcutt (Towell),  Frederick, Jowle,  Chamberlain, Substitutes not used & Bent & Morrissey.

Berko’s development squad continued their recent run of good results with a home win over Newport Pagnell Town. Their 2nd league win in a row, which has seen a return of 7 goals scored and 0 goals conceded, has seen them move out of the re-election zone and overtake three teams.

A superb first half performance saw set the foundation for the win. Kieron Turner opened the scoring in the 20th minute when he met a Scott Macpherson cross and played a one-two with the post before netting. Stefan Owen-Edwards doubled the lead with a shot that the visiting keeper got a hand to but could not prevent going in. Macpherson hit the third goal before the interval with a shot from an acute angle.

With the good work continuing in the second half, Berko can count themselves unlucky not to have scored more goals, as good chances for, Stefan, Mitchell Cole, ben Humphreys, and nick ward were all not converted. Berko had to play the last 18 minutes with 10 men, as Turner came off with an injury after all the substitutes were used.

Berko’s under 18 side fought back from 2-0 down at the interval with goals from Connor Church and George Carberry to earn a draw at the league leaders Chesham United.


Berko’s first team have three games in eight days. On Tuesday 5th they entertain AFC Dunstable in the Premier division Cup and then on Saturday will be trying to do the double at Broadwater over London Colney. They make the short trip to Hemel Hempstead’s Vauxhall Road ground to play another league games against London Lions on Wednesday 13th.

The reserve team have a league match at Harefield United on Saturday.


No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: