Berko dug in to take another valuable three points on Saturday despite playing the last 20 minutes with only 10 men. There was an explosive start to the game with Colney hitting the post with an early shot. However, in the 5th minute a fine pass threaded up the line by Adam Mead released Connor Calcutt and a defender tripped him to earn a booking and concede a penalty. Mead took the spot kick and scored giving goalkeeper Whattmore no chance just like he had at Oxhey in midweek. Colney immediately replaced their centre half with a very early substitution.

Carl Tasker had to tip a shot over the bar and at the other end the metalwork saved the home side when Chamberlain headed a Calcutt cross from the left goalwards and beat the keeper. London Colney got another booking for handball and Steve Hawes also got a yellow that was to prove costly later in the match.

The home side equalised just after the second half started when a punt from the keeper freed the left winger who crossed and Dan Fitzgerald came forward to accept an easy chance that had the Berko coaching staff fuming with their defence. Chamberlain cut in from the left and his low right foot shot eluded the keeper at the back post to put Berko back in front 8 minutes later. Berko’s midfield players had a day to forget, not winning or keeping the ball, and it was no surprise that Mick Vipond replaced three of them in the second half.

Berko picked up cards in the second half for Chamberlain (shirt pulling) and for fouls by Griggs and Hawes. It was a second yellow for Hawes and that meant red, so he will miss the FA Vase game at Baldock, it also got the home crowd over excited.

Solid defending from Lewis Rodrigoe and Jamie Gavin ensured the 10 men offered the home side few chances to make their extra man count. So Berko won and moved back up to 4th place and still have games in hand on those above.

Berko: Tasker; Griggs, Culaj, Rodrigoe, Gavin, Hawes, Jowle (Mannion),Frederick(Sears),Calcutt Mead (Towell), Chamberlain,  Substitutes not used  Copson &.Bent),

Berko went down 0-3 in a Suburban League match at home to Northwood Reserves.

The under 18s went down 2-1 at Kings Langley in the Olympian division on Wednesday.

On Tuesday 8th Berko go to division 1 side Sun Postal Sports in the Challenge Trophy. That is followed by Saturday’s trip to Cockfosters in the Premier division. Ed Canham is available for those matches.

On Saturday Berko’s reserve side are at home to Ashford Town (Middlesex) in the second leg of their league cup tie..

Berko are at Uxbridge in the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday 9th.


No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: