Hertford came to Broadwater on Saturday afternoon hoping to clinch their survival in the Premier division with an unlikely win and it seems to be going to their plan until Berko drew level with the last kick of the match to earn a draw. However, it turned out the single point was enough to make Hertford safe, as Holmer Green and Hatfield Town will be the bottom two, as Town slumped to a 10-1 defeat at Oxhey Jets, where Lewis Putman scored six to take his tally to 79 goals for the season.

Mick Vipond recalled Carl Tasker in goal as the only change from the starting eleven that beat Hatfield last week. Berko fell behind early on when Albert Adu got the ball with his back to goal and was allowed to turn and shoot the opening goal. Berko thought they had scored at the railway end but the assistant referee did not flag to indicate the ball had crossed the line, so the referee played on. Tasker pulled off some fine saves, with the pick of the bunch being when he tipped a header from the impressive visiting skipper Tom Wade over the bar. Josh Chamberlain suffered a broken shin pad and had to come off after a horrendous tackle and James Towell replaced him in the 25th minute. Myles Stephenson scored for the third successive game to equalise for Berkhamsted when he pounced on a loose ball and shot past Lewis Kidd in the visiting goal shortly before the interval.

The main talking point of the second half was the number of times Berko were given offside when their forwards came from behind defenders. There was also controversy at the other end when Mark Summers gave Hertford the lead when he nodded home a cross from Wade with no offside flag showing. Jordon Frederick ran though several challenges but was foiled by a save from the exposed Kidd.

Berko have been missing Lawrence Bunker for the last 20 games, but when he came on for the final stages he showed he has not lost his goalscoring touch and he got on the end of a Frankie Jowle cross from the right wing to poke the ball past Kidd to make it 2-2 for his 16th goal of the season. There was no time for Hertford to get back as the referee blew his whistle as soon as game restarted.

Tasker; Gavin, Rodrigoe, Sedgley,  Fongho, Culaj , Jowle, Frederick, Stephenson (Pritchard). Thompson (Bunker), Chamberlain(Towell). Subs not used Seodi & Morrissey.

A young Berko reserve side drew 0-0 at Newport Pagnell Town to pick up their second away draw of the week. On Wednesday they surprised second placed Ashford Town with a 2-2 draw when youngsters Tom Read and Mitchell Cole got the goals.

On Saturday Berko have their final home game of the season when they entertain 4th places St Margaretsbury at Broadwater. Dale Sears could be back after suspension and Mick Vipond will be waining to hear if Dan Griggs, Connor Calcutt and Josh Chamberlain recover from knocks before naming his side.

On Thursday 18th Berko’s under 18 side go to Oxhey Jets in the quarter final of the Brian Hitchings Cup.


No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: