After an incident packed game Saturday’s local derby at Broadwater ended even, but only after a dramatic climax when Berkhamsted had a winning goal awarded and then disallowed in the last minute. So Berko drew for the fourth successive game and took their unbeaten run to 8 matches.
Berko welcomed back skipper Dale Sears and there was a second outing in goal for Kevin Marsh as Carl Tasker was unavailable. Frankie Jowle was also fit to start with Mick Vipond opting for two under 18 forwards against a Tring side that are having a bad run.
Andy Mullins a member of the old Berkhamsted Town FA Vase final side came out of retirement and stabbed home the opening goal to give Tring the lead after 20 minutes. Otherwise there was not a lot of goalmouth action in the first half with chances at a premium and apart from catching corners and long shots the two keepers were untroubled.
There was a long delay in the first half when the referee pulled a muscle and a qualified referee in the crowd stepped up to run the line, whilst an assistant was promoted to the middle.
Matt Myatt another ex Broadwater players forced Marsh to make his save of the game. Andy anothernotehr ex Town player handled from a corner to earn a booking and concede a penalty. After some delay Josh Chamberlain smashed the spot kick into the net to level the scores. Berko suffered three bookings for fouls by substitute Connor Calcutt, Lewis Rodrigoe and Dale Sears. Another ex Broadwater favourite Graham Hall struck the cross bar with a free kick from outside the penalty area.
Thereafter it was all Berko as they laid siege to the canal goal in a bid for the winner. Another ex Town player Mike Underwood in the Athletic goal was at the centre of the controversial ending. He had the ball in his hands but seemed to drop it and Calcutt came steaming in to net the loose ball and the referee pointed to the centre circle. The Comrades players celebrated in the corner flag and then lined up in their own half for the restart. Cue the Tring players mobbing the stand-in referee and eventually persuading him to talk to the stand-in linesman, who had not flagged. After much deliberation the game restarted with a free kick to Tring and the final whistle went, as soon as it was taken. Many supporters left the ground thinking Berko had won. It is just as well both sides are in mid-table, as if promotion or relegation had been at stake there could have been a riot. The report of the league assessor on the referees would make interesting reading-but it will remain confidential, with neither club having access. The crucial issue was whether the keeper had lost control of the ball.
Tasker; Gavin, Rodrigoe, Chamberlain, Branson(Sedgley), Frederick, Jowle ,Griggs, Cole(Calcutt) Sears, Morrissey (Stephenson) . Subs. Not used Thompson & Pritchard.
On Saturday Berko’s reserves won 3-1 at Leverstock Green in the Suburban Shield after being held to 0-0 at half time. Soon after Yusef Seodi won a tackle in midfield and went on to shoot home from outside the penalty area. Kevin Adewumni doubled the lead with a scrambled goal. Green pulled one back, but soon afterwards, the two goal lead was restored when James Towell drilled the ball home from the left hand side.
On Thursday night Berko’s under 18 side went down 4-2 to an adult Tring Corinthians side in a friendly. Ashley Morrissey and Harry Sedgley who had both come off the bench for the first team the night before put Berko 2-1 ahead at half time but after a flurry of substitutions the more experienced Corinthians won 4-2.

No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: