St Margaretsbury v Comrades

Sat 12th Nov 2011


Despite Mick Vipond having to reshuffle his side at the last-minute, when three players pulled out sick on the day of the game in the shape of Matt Wardle, Frankie Jowle and Adam Mead, his side secured another fine win.

Berko got an early goal when a Lawrence Bunker free kick struck the defensive wall and Jon Davies followed up to net his first goal since returning to the club from Leverstock Green. The side had to be reorganised again in the first half, as skipper Simon Carmichael succumbed to a recurring injury in an attempted comeback game.

Jordan Toomey went from midfield to defence and excelled with his cousin Josh Chamberlain coming on to pep up the midfield. However, Saints equalised midway through the first half with a goal from Leigh Rose. Berko got back in front just before the interval when Steve Hawes scored with a rasping 30 yard drive.

In the 66th minute top scorer Bunker made it 3-1 to the Comrades with Tyler Hatherly claiming an assist. Mitch Hamilton came on for Davies and the points looked to be in the bag. But, there was more drama to come, as a Saints player got sent off for a two footed tackle, earning a straight red card. It became 10 a side when Hatherly picked up a second yellow card in the last-minute.

Deep in stoppage time Ricky Light made it 3-2 from the penalty spot, but Berko saw the remaining time outand  were well worth the points that moved them up the table to 8th just 5 points adrift of second placed Leverstock Green, with games in hand.

Berko: Farmer, Gavin, Rodrigoe, J.Carmichael, S. Carmichael (Chamberlain), Rose(Boad),  Toomey, Hawes, Bunker, Hatherly, Davies (Hamilton).

The Reserves completed an encouraging week as they beat Hartley Wintney 4 v 2 at Broadwater to add three points to the one secured at League leaders Barton Rovers on Wednesday evening. Rowan Taylor scored a second half hat trick with Mick O’Farrell also on the capping a fine performance. Match report on Reserves page.


%d bloggers like this: