Mursley United 3 – 10 Berkhamsted

by Grant Hastie

The Comrades notched double figures for the second time this season to stay top of the table, just ahead of Aston Clinton, thanks to a goal difference that is now 13 goals better than their rivals after Saturday’s big win.

It was a much improved performance from Berkhamsted who are going to be pushed hard if they are to win the Division Two title in their debut season, as both Aston Clinton and Padbury United could get ahead of them if they each win their game in hand.

The match just survived a pitch inspection after a heavy frost took time to thaw, and Berkhamsted raced into a 3-0 lead in the first 12 minutes with a brace from top scorer James Armstrong and one by the recalled Adam Mead.

However, home skipper Chris Pittam pulled one back from the penalty spot. The impressive Armstrong completed his hat trick and a Mead free kick stretched the interval lead of Berkhamsted  to 5-1.

Another superb free kick from Mead rounded off his first hat trick for the club. Jamie Gavin netted for Berko to make the score 7-1. On the hour mark a push led to a penalty for the home side which Pittam again converted by beating Milner.

However, that just prompted Berkhamsted to step up a gear and net a couple more goals. Tony Burnett got on the score sheet and Armstrong took his tally to four goals, an incredible third time this season that he has achieved that feat to make it 9-2.

Jakub Kasprzwyk netted the third goal for the home side. However Burnett got his second goal and took his tally to 24 goals for the season to make the final score 10-3.

The lethal duo up front of Armstrong and Burnett have already collected 52 goals for Berkhamsted in the first half of the season. The match was something of a statistician’s delight as it was Berko’s equal record score and their first league double of the season.

Mursley United have to come to Broadwater later in the month in the semi-final of the Division Two Cup, and on this form Mick Vipond’s side can feel confident of reaching the final.

The only disappointment was that the referee managed to issue seven yellow cards including booking Berko’s Colin Wilson, Gavin and substitute Lee Groves.

Team; Milner; Wilson, Rodrigoe, Hawes (Chapman), Beamish, Boad (Groves), Gerrard (Chandler), J Gavin, Armstrong, Burnett, Mead. Sub not used: Ebi.

With Tokyngton Manor’s first team game called off, they sent a strong side to Broadwater and raced into a three goal lead in the first half of a reserve league match.

However, top scorer Darren Lewis headed a hat trick of goals for Berkhamsted to keep the match interesting, but as Manor added two more in the second half, it ended up as a 5-3 win for the visitors.

Berkhamsted have two important home first team matches in a busy week. On Saturday they are at home to Pitstone and Ivinghoe looking to get more vital league points with a 3pm kick off.

Berkhamsted have already knocked Pitstone out of two cups in closely fought games this season so start as favourites.

Berko will be hoping for a big crowd if their fans have not forgotten their way to Broadwater as it is their  first home league match since 21 November.

Then on Tuesday 9th its St Mary’s Cup semi-final time with Berkhamsted at home to Premier division Oxhey Jets.

Berko caused a major upset when they made light of the Two Division gap earlier in the season when they knocked their opponents out of the League Cup. Can lightening strike twice? The prize for the winners is a final against either Hemel Hempstead Town or Leverstock Green.


%d bloggers like this: